Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Week of Adoptions

I haven't done so before, but today I counted to see how many animals I've fostered have found homes. The number pales in comparison to those who have fostered for years and can count thousands of animals, but still, I was surprised. In the few short months I have been fostering, I have placed sixteen animals in adoptive homes, with the help of everyone at Heartland.

Even more surprising is that six of those placements happened this week! If you know me at all, you know that is just a few too many goodbyes too close together for someone who cries watching hallmark commercials. Still, at the end of the day, it is a good feeling to have had a small role in making a difference for a few of the Universe's creatures.

The week began with Relay's adoption. Relay now belongs to two darling boys and a Labrador Retriever. Her new Mom is sending regular updates and she's doing wonderfully!

Angel and Virgil were adopted together and get to keep their names! Sometimes you just know, with every fiber of your being, you are sending a foster to the perfect home, and that was the case with Angel and Virgil. I am certain they are off to a wonderful new beginning, as are Doc, Morgan and Wyatt, who also found their forever families.

However, the week wasn't all about goodbyes. I had a hello too; a very BIG hello. Patrick, a Saint Bernard I fell in love with as soon as he was taken in by Heartland, is my newest foster and future heart-breaker. If one could custom design the perfect dog, Patrick would be the result. He is the definition of "Gentle Giant". He loves all the dogs here, is endlessly patient with the puppies who use him as their personal jungle gym, and has even made friends with my remaining kitten who, at only 2 pounds, is about the size of one of Patrick's paws!


This dog just emanates kindness. He greets every visitor to the house with a paw and a nudge and, within seconds, each person who has seen him for the first time ends up wrapping their arms around his big ol' neck, hugging him. The best part about hugging Patrick is he hugs back!

I suspect Patrick will be adopted as quickly as he becomes available, but I sure wouldn't mind if it took a lot longer. He is pure joy to share living space with. I hate to imagine how big an empty spot he'll be leaving when it's time for his new life to begin . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Patrick...now "Louie" is going to love his new home with my friend, Teresa! He did well on his trip home...climbed right up on the couch and Sunny kitty seems to be ok with him so far. She disappeared from sight for a little while, but showed back up later. It will be an adjustment, but they will become great pals I'm sure! Thanks Rhonda!