Friday, February 27, 2009

Weekend Adventures

Friday evening began with a trip out to the country; a rescue mission.

I am sure it began with the best of intentions. She'd saved a cat or three and, before she knew it, had a whole houseful to contend with, without the means to support such an endeavor. She asked Heartland for help and we agreed to find homes for some and work with her for the next few months getting the rest spayed/neutered and placed in adoptive homes. We spent a couple hours at her house, rounding up kitties as respectfully and delicately as we could. These were not abused kitties. She truly loved and provided for them, but was simply in too deep before she knew it and was smart enough to call for a lifeboat.

I was anxious before this trip. My own familial history makes me ultra sensitive to authoritarian situations where a person or persons feels they can (and should) determine what is best for someone else. I can imagine how this situation would have played out on an episode of Animal Cops. There were no "good guys" or "bad guys" involved in Friday night's rescue. We all just wanted to help the animals.

I cannot imagine having strangers enter my house and watching them scoop up my beloved pets to take them away, but this woman was very gracious throughout the whole experience. We filled nine crates with ten cats. Three are definitely pregnant. Hopefully, with Heartland’s help, her house will soon be sterile so she can simply enjoy her many cats without the worry of them reproducing themselves into an unmanageable population explosion.
I cried with her as she said goodbye to her babies. Yes, she had too many cats, but she didn’t love them any less than I love my own pets and I knew saying goodbye wasn’t easy. At the end of the night, after all the tears were shed, she did agree that having all these kitties spayed or neutered would be much, much better than going through the such heartbreak again.

I brought home two pregnant kitties. They are scared from the sudden change and it will take them a while to adjust to their new surroundings. They have a room to themselves with several birthing beds to choose from, so I am sure they'll soon make themselves comfortable. And I am sure there will be many kitten photos forthcoming on this blog!

Just to emphasize the importance of spaying and neutering, Saturday also brought a lesson. After just completing an adoption at PetSmart I was celebrating having an evening with no foster puppies. I spoke too soon. A customer informed us someone had staked a “FREE PUPPIES” sign next to our Adoption signs in the parking lot. A few of us ran out to gauge the situation. The problem with free puppies, aside from not knowing where they will end up or how they will be treated, is that they are rarely altered, so the potential of one free puppy adding to the homeless pet problem is great. There was one free pup left – a darling, long-haired, border collie/lab mix who is now my newest foster!

So ended an adventurous weekend.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Yeah DT!! I wondered who got the "free" pup. I'm so glad that he was rescued and will get the care that he needs now. I can't believe the gall of some people, putting their sign right next to the adoption sign. After getting the pup away, I hope they got plenty of looks and maybe even a talking to, but then someone who would do that wouldn't pay any attention anyway.

Good job on the kitty rescue too! Keep up the great work you are doing!