Friday, February 13, 2009

Josie

Josie was the only kitten from my Tombstone litter not adopted last weekend. Of course, I don't mind spending extra time with her, but coming home Saturday and returning her to an empty cat room was sort of depressing. She didn't like it one bit either, showing her distaste of the situation by standing at the door, letting out the most mournful cries I've ever heard. I ended up spending the night on the sofa in the cat room with her so she wouldn't feel so alone.

The next day, I had to do something I usually avoid doing with my foster kitties. I let Josie join my pride of house cats. That is always a tricky situation -- it can stress the house cats and disrupt their pecking order, causing problems.

Sometimes I underestimate my brood here. Pixel, not yet full grown and my biggest love-bug cat, immediately became Josie's foster mommy. I watched her shuttle Josie off to the litter box by the scruff of her neck and sit in it with her until she was finished. She made sure Josie knew where the food and water was and then insisted Josie join her for a nap in the kitty condo, curling herself entirely around Josie and giving her a bath!

Not to be outdone by the cats, the dogs thought they'd get in on the action too! Patrick, my Saint Bernard mix foster dog, loves kitties. But, Josie is so small, one lick from Patrick's big tongue lifts her right off the ground! Thank goodness Josie isn't afraid of dogs, because Patrick spends most of his time in my bedroom, on my bed. Fortunately, he is willing to share his spot with a tiny kitten and she doesn't mind curling up with a big ol' dog!

Of course, this all changes my adoption requirements for Josie. With all the attention she's received here from the other animals, I just cannot imagine sending her to a home where she would be an only pet. She'd just be too darn lonely. So, I'll continue hoping the perfect family with friendly cats and dogs comes along and decides Josie is a perfect match for them!

1 comment:

Attila the Mom said...

Bless your heart. You are such a good person.

xoxox

ATM