Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Ewoks!

I have affectionately called them "The Ewoks" since the day they came to live with me, as they look very much like furry little Star Wars creatures. As I packed them up for PetSmart this morning, it was impossible not to reflect on how far these little boys have come since the day I brought them home, terrified of people and very sick with upper repiratory infections, a product of their puppy-mill beginnings.

In just over a month, they've blossomed into healthy, well-adjusted little guys who love kids and adults alike. They did fabulous at PetSmart today, lavishing in all the attention from everyone until they were just so tired they curled up together in their little dog bed for a nap.

But it was an unusually slow day at PetSmart; not a lot of traffic and very few people seriously looking for a dog or cat to adopt. Just as I was ready to begin packing up all our supplies to head home, however, the applications started coming in on my little Ewoks! We quickly went from no serious interest to competing applicants! That all worked out on its own and I'd soon chosen homes for both Pogo and Pounce!

It was very strange coming home without them! Their crate is still up in the kitchen and their exersize pen still in the back yard. By tomorrow, I will be ready to face putting their things away. I am just not up to it tonight as I am still sort of surprised when it's time to take the dogs out here and I am two short of what I am used to!

I am, however, very happy for them. They got wonderful homes and I've already received photos and an update from Pogo's new mom, who reports he's settling in nicely and is a great fit for their family!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post!! I too adopt a dog from Petsmart!!