Saturday, January 31, 2009

Karma . . .

I reached my hand into the cat carrier and pulled out a very tiny, very dirty kitten. She was covered in fleas, full of ear mites, sick and unhealthy. She was also the most loving little thing I'd ever seen, purring like crazy and kneading her little paws at the air as I gave her medicines and treated her for fleas. I named her Karma.

Two months later, she looks as you see her here (in a gorgeous photo taken by Angie). She's healthy. Her eyes are bright. Her ears are clean. And, she is still the most loving little kitten with the biggest purr you've ever heard.

Karma found her forever home today. It wasn't an easy goodbye for me. I've spent so much time nursing her back to health and so many nights cuddling her just to hear that enormous purr, it was impossible to not fall in love with her.

I am not sure this gets easier with time. No matter how hard I fight against it, when an adoption happens, I cry. I always feel silly about it. It always makes the adopters feel bad. I'm not immediately giving high-fives for happy endings; it takes me a while to recover. That doesn't mean I'm not happy for Karma and her new family, as I know they will love her as much as I do and that she, in turn, will love them.

And that is my wish for Karma: a life full of love for a beautiful little kitten who gives love freely, despite her difficult beginnings. I'll miss you, wee-one, have a beautiful life!

3 comments:

Angie Tollefson said...

i'm glad you liked the photo! the goodbyes get easier with time, but there's always those that rip your heart out a little more than ohters. congrats on finding her a great home!

DogTired said...

I loved all the photos you took of my babies yesterday; just gorgeous! Thanks!

Lisa said...

I just love Karma's story. What a happy ending/beginning for her. Keep up the good work.