Thursday, December 11, 2008

Big Dogs, Little Dogs . . .

. . . all kinds of dogs!

When Laurie, a fellow fosterer, invited me over to shoot photos, my intentions weren't entirely altruistic. She stores a lot of Heartland's donated supplies at her house and, right about now, I'd sell my soul for anything having to do with potty training!

Plus, Laurie is currently fostering Tulsa, a wonderful Australian Cattle Dog I wanted to adopt a year or so ago after losing our Cattle Dog, Scout, to cancer. The day I inquired about Tulsa was the day she went home to another family. Unfortunately, Tulsa was returned to Heartland due to an unfortunate set of circumstances, none of which had to do with the fact she is deaf.

My desire to continue fostering dogs prevents me from bringing her home this time, despite how wonderful she is and how tempted I am! She is so sweet, loving and smart. And, she is so very lucky to be with Laurie who has taken the time to learn to communicate with her through sign language. How cool is that?!

Tulsa isn't Laurie's only deaf foster-dog. She also has Noelle, a sweet, loving, mellow six-month-old terrier mix. Laurie is even taking Noelle to obedience classes so that she, like Tulsa, can learn sign language. Have I mentioned what an awesome and dedicated foster mommy Laurie is? She is my new hero!

As if she wasn't busy enough with Tulsa and Noelle, Laurie has also taken on Duncan, a three-month-old chocolate lab mix, who is just a wriggling, affectionate bundle of puppy love. Duncan was not easy to get a photo of because he thought my lap looked much more comfortable than posing in front of the camera. I wasn't complaining though, he snuggles up close and puts his soft, little head right on your shoulder, making your heart just melt. I've no doubt Duncan will find a home before Christmas.

Finally, in the midst of all the puppies at Laurie's house is one very brave cat named Bugsy, who strolls through the crowd of canines without care or concern. Bugsy is nearly ready for adoption and whoever takes him home will be very lucky to have been chosen by him. Not only is he handsome and brave, but he's also very sweet!

Laurie keeps a fabulous blog about her fostering experience. It is full of information, stories and photos. Surfing through her archives has better prepared me for fostering. If you are interested in adopting any of her foster-critters or are considering fostering yourself, please check it out!

No comments: