Sunday, June 6, 2010

Back!

What happens when you work at an animal shelter, foster dozens of cats and dogs, spend every moment of your free time running around doing something associated with the above and then, on top of it all, buy a home and move? You can't find the time to update your blog for two months! My apologies. I am trying to get back in gear!

Coming Out of the Animal Closet:

I've moved away from suburbia and the land of close neighbors and three pet limits. My critters now have a roomy home, three acres for leash walking and a large, fenced yard for running. I am no longer in fear of neighbors peering over the fence, counting fuzzy heads and making a call to authorities. I now can take in an emergency foster because I have the space. And, I can openly share the number of animals currently being cared for at my home . . . if I want to, which I don't, for fear of being committed. In a nutshell, me and the critters are loving life where we are. It is a blessed relief to be free of the worry that accompanies fostering where pet numbers are limited. The move was a great decision.

Happenings Since Patch and Rags' Adoption:

Several animals have come and gone since we celebrated the adoption of Patch and Rags (who are doing terrific in their new home!). Dylan, an Aussie mix who stole my heart, found a wonderful home with a couple who spoils him rotten beyond belief. Tess, my puppy-mill Shih-Tzu found a family willing to tolerate all the scars her past left and love her just the same. Wilson, who had his own warts, lucked out like Tess and found a new person who loves him with patience and compassion . . . and he even gets to come visit at my house when he needs dog-sitting so I don't have to miss him so much.

And, since the move, I've brought home and said goodbye to some terrific dogs. Gizmo, a Japanese Chen, was one of my favorite doggy guests ever; a fun little dog with a great personality, would have been easy to keep and was hard to part with, but his new family updates me and he's come to PetSmart to visit during adoption events. Coal, a three-legged Pomeranian, who slept on my pillow every night, went home with his new Mom yesterday. And Murphy, a black lab mix pup who took a long time to find a home, left Petsmart yesterday with his very own boy at his side.

The most recent adoptions couldn't have come soon enough because the house is FULL. Wednesday, I took a drive to pick up a Husky and Husky mix whose future was destined to be the city pound, where their age may have brought upon an unhappy ending for them. Beautiful dogs, they are slowly adjusting to their world turning upside down and, probably, grateful to have each other.


Beautiful Sterling


Adorable PJ

It seems I always have a puppy mill dog to work with and, for now, it is Gretchen. Gretchen appears to be a Shih-Tzu/Cocker mix. She is cute, sweet and complete with some of the usual puppy mill personality glitches, but is slowly learning how to be a house dog. She LOVES toys, which is something we usually don't get to see with breeder dogs from puppy mills, but she is always carrying a toy around in her mouth. It's adorable. Gretchen has been to the vet and is ready for adoption.

And then there is my dear, sweet Olivia. Whoever adds Olivia to their family will be getting such a wonderful, loving dog. I love her to pieces. Totally housetrained, all she wants to do is be with her people, doing whatever they are doing. Livvie is truly happy just to be loved; you just look at her and her tail wags while her eyes light up. She too sleeps in my bed every night. I don't know why I torture myself so. Inviting a foster into your bed makes it all the more difficult to say goodbye when the time comes, but the reality is that she deserves it. Before coming to foster care, Olivia was an outside only dog. Seeing her settled on her dog bed, chewing on a bone, makes that really hard to believe!

And, as soon as I can get him to hold still for a photo, I will introduce you to Grover, a scrappy Boston Terrier who joined the menagerie here a week or so ago. Grover is quite the character and has found a way to make me laugh daily.

More soon . . . promise!

No comments: