Saturday, July 25, 2009

Angel . . .

If you are a regular "Almost Home" reader, you know by now I am a total wimp; that as dedicated as I am to animal rescue and as much as I love my fosters, their adoption days are never really a celebration for me. Although I know it is good in the grand scheme of things, on the day of adoption, I miss my dog. I am sad. I drive home without him or her, sit in my driveway for a while before I have to face the empty crate or dogbed inside, and curse fostering. I need twenty-four hours to be inconsolable. It's just the way it is with me.

Tonight, I am missing Angel, who today found a home. The first night is always the worst. Is she missing me? What if there is a storm tonight and she is scared? Will her new people know how to comfort her? Will they love her as much as I do and laugh at her silliness? Will they tolerate her quirks and accept her stubbornness?

Angel and I had this thing we'd do; I'd turn on the radio and she'd jump up on me, with her paws on my hips and we'd dance around the living room together. I swear, she'd smile all the while.

Tonight, I am missing my Angel. I hope she has a wonderful life and gets to dance again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do yourself and Angel a favor, laugh and dance. Angel would want you to do that. I kind of know how you feel because that is how I think I would feel too. Just remember the family that adopted her, their smile when they were petting her and how happy the were when you were watching them with Angel. Now smile and go dance.
God Bless you and I am going to email you to find out how to do what you do. I want to help save some animals. God Bless You and all of you who help all these animals. You have made me smile with your story. Denise B.